Hi everyone and welcome to this month’s Traveler’s Journal feature! I am so happy to be bringing you more inspiration for using your Traveler’s Journals and the Traveler’s Journal collection at Papertrey Ink along with the 2018 Traveler’s Journal Team: Andi Schalow, Ashley Cannon Newell, and Kelly Lunceford.
Today we are talking about inspiration and using your journals to collect inspiration. Traveler’s Journals can be used to collect your favorite quotes, poems, scriptures, notes, and more. You can put together these little booklets to look back on yourself or maybe give as a gift to someone special.
I decided to put together a journal to collect quotes and poems that have a star or celestial theme. I love Pinterest for collecting quotes and poems and can spend hours going through all of the options that pop up. I also decided that this journal was going to be a fun place for some artistic play as well. I have been very into playing with watercolor and combining that with the star/celestial theme was just all sorts of fun.
I went to my stamp collection and pulled out a number of sets with a star and celestial theme. I mainly used the Star Gazer and Star Gazer Additions sets. For the play portion of this inspiration journal, I embossed the star map image onto some watercolor paper with clear embossing powder and then painted and splattered and layered watercolors to create a starry night sky around the embossed image. I had such a good time doing this and I LOVE the results.
I typed up the poems and quotes that I collected with my typewriter onto kraft cardstock and attached that onto the opposite page from my painted star map page. Isn’t this poem just so lovely about the stars? This brings me back to when I worked at Girl Scout camp so many years ago and we would go on night hikes and spend time star gazing.
I die cut stars from a Luxe Gold adhesive sheet to scatter across the star map and the typed poem along with some tiny gold star glitter pieces. I know this spread will be a great piece of inspiration for me to go back to. Not only the subject matter, but remembering the creative process to create these pages.
Here’s the next spread in my celestial inspiration journal. I used the same layout on this page and will most likely keep repeating that throughout the book. When you repeat the same design elements, it helps unify the design – not to mention that it can speed up your creating process. When you aren’t reinventing the wheel each time you do a layout, the easier decisions are to make and the process moves along faster.
I embossed the constellation images onto watercolor paper with clear embossing powder and then went to town with adding the watercolor like I did on the previous page to create the night sky effect again. The white spots and splatters are done with a white opaque ink and I used a gold spray to add some splatters too.
I added a few shorter star quotes to this page that I typed up onto kraft cardstock. I used some strips of the watercolored paper to created my own sort of washi tape effect. If you tear the strips towards yourself, it will create that white ripped edge look. I added the strips to the tops and bottom of the quotes and then added a bit of stitching with some metallic thread in my sewing machine.
More die cut stars and gold star confetti are scattered across the pages to finish them off. I am just loving how this journal is turning out and am inspired to add more to it. I love when projects like this have me inspired to do more… which means that it is working for its intended purpose!
- STAMPS: Star Gazer, Star Gazer Additions, Sun & Moon
- INK: True Black, Versamark
- PAPER: kraft, watercolor, Traveler’s Journal: Page Blanks, Luxe Gold adhesive sheet
- DIES: Star Gazer, Small Sketched Stars
- OTHER: clear embossing powder, watercolors, Copic opaque white ink, gold star glitter, Rustic Jute button twine, Gold Lame Color Shine Spritz
The Traveler’s Journal Team have their own inspiration journals to share with you today and I love the range of ideas from each one of them. Buckle up and prepare to be inspired!
“Some of my favorite inspiration comes from the music I listen to, there are so many great lyrics! I put together this cute little Journal to keep a few of my favorites…”
- STAMPS: 2018 Anniversary Set: Mixed Bouquet
- INK: Pale Peony, Sweet Blush, Lovely Lady, Spring Moss, Lemon tart, Limeade Ice, Versamark
- PAPER: Hawaiian Shores, Bitty Big Dark Indigo
- DIES: Traveler’s Journal: Outer Cover
- OTHER: White Filigree Embossing Powder, Clear Embossing Powder
“I’m so excited to share my inspiration traveler’s journal with you today. This journal serves two purposes for me: (1) inspirational quotes paired with color combinations and fabrics and (2) a creative process. While making this journal, I thoroughly enjoyed watercoloring, stamping, and die cutting. The end result is great because now I have a place to add color combinations and fabric swatches. I can tuck them into the mini envelopes and the pocket to look at in the future when I’m in a creative slump. Inspiration is everywhere, so this journal filled with coats, colors, texture, and patterns will surely be an aesthetic I can use for all sorts of future inspiration.”
- STAMPS: Botanical Letters, Sunflower Harvest, Choose Joy, Little Lift Me Ups, Quoted: Right Moment, Quoted: Start Again, Year of Psalms: April, Quoted, Dream Big
- INK: Smokey Shadow, Pure Poppy, Aqua Mist, Hibiscus Burst, Raspberry Fizz, Dark Indigo, Spring Rain, Limeade Ice, New Leaf, Lilac Grace, Amethyst Allure, Honey Nut, Summer Sunrise, Lovely Lady, Lemon Tart, Harvest Gold, Winter Wisteria
- PAPER: True Black, watercolor, Bitty Big: True Black, Bitty Big: Aqua Mist
- DIES: Botanical Letters, Traveler’s Journal: Envelope, Traveler’s Journal: Accessories
- OTHER: twine, eyelets
“This inspirational journal was created to be filled with scriptures and verse; it’s like having my own little pocket full of sunshine! I can’t wait to keep adding pages with words that strengthen the soul!”
- STAMPS: Traveler’s Journal: Bullets, Traveler’s Journal: Adventure, Farmer’s Market Florals, Phrases & Praises
- INK: Aqua Mist, Ocean Tides, Lemon Tart, Harvest Gold, Sweet Blush, Pale Peony, Lovely Lady, Simply Chartreuse, Ripe Avocado, Fresh Snow, Pure Poppy, Versamark
- PAPER: Enchanted Evening, Sweet Blush, Stamper’s Select White, Spring Moss, Kraft
- DIES: Traveler’s Journal: Outer Cover, Traveler’s Journal: Envelope, Mix & Mat: Scallops, Mix & Mat: Pretty Brackets, Farmer’s Market Florals, Tag Sale #5
- OTHER: Rustic Jute button Twine, Baker’s Twine: Cream Cotton, sequins, gold embossing powder
Thank you so much for joining me and the Traveler’s journal team today. I hope you enjoyed what we had to share today and more inspiration will be coming your way again next month!