Welcome to this month’s Traveler’s Journal feature! Today, the Traveler’s Journal team and I have been doing some nature journaling. Spending time out in nature has always been a favorite of mine to do and I have been recently inspired by nature journals that I have seen in books and online. It is so inspiring to me, in fact, that I designed a new Traveler’s Journal collection to use in my journals and help inspire you to get out into nature too!
I am excited to introduce the new Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes stamp set and coordinating dies:
And yes, you read that correctly at the end of the video, the Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes stamp set and coordinating dies are available to purchase right now at Papertrey Ink!
Also, other select Traveler’s Journal products are on sale! Make sure you stop by the Papertrey Ink store website to stock up on the Traveler’s Journal products that have been on your wishlist June 8-10.
The Traveler’s Journals are just perfect to use as a nature journal. The finished size of the booklets is about 4 1/2″ square (the one in the photo above is a little taller because of the tabs at the top), making it a great size to pop into your bag, backpack, or even a pocket! Or you can do like I do and take photos and notes with your phone and then sit down later to put your journal together.
The images in the stamp set have a sketched look, just like you might draw in your journal, and are plants and insects that you would find around where I personally live in Minnesota – the upper midwest area of the United States. You can use them to accent your journal or use them as actual specimens that you found in when you were out in nature.
So many elements of the Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes collection will also work wonderfully on cards, tags, packaging, and more as well!
In this journal, I documented a kayak outing that I took with my husband Chad while we were visiting my parents over Memorial Day weekend.
I used the “look deep into nature” quote on the inside cover of my journal along with the oak leaf and acorn images. I included labels to add by the illustrations with the common and scientific names of the specimens.
The images in the set worked well to stamp coordinating patterned paper with Olive Twist ink on Olive Twist cardstock. I used that on the right side of this layout spread along with a photo from our kayak outing and a bit of typed text.
One of the things that I was inspired to try in my nature journal is drawing and watercoloring the things that we discover on our adventures.
While we were kayaking, I encountered a very BIG snapping turtle. I wish I had gotten a picture, but I wasn’t going to hang around and try to get one when it turned to come towards me and my kayak…! I looked for images online and in some nature guides that I have I my library to use as a reference and then painted my own picture of a snapping turtle for my journal.
The Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes stamp set includes lots of typed words and sentiments to use as part of your nature journaling. I also included a journaling box that you can stamp onto your pages or onto journal cards. It will fit into most of the Monthly Moments journal cards that are available to purchase at Papertrey Ink.
This layout spread includes a few photos I took while kayaking and some notes about the day in general. I stamped the journaling block onto the tabbed journal cards and then added them to the journal so that the tabs peek out the top of the book. I stamped some typed words onto the tabs that peek out of the book.
The photo frames around the pictures are from the Traveler’s Journal: Accessories die collection. I stamped the “wander often, wonder always.” sentiment across the two frames. I used tape to mask off the area on the stamp that I didn’t want to stamp.
I did another turtle painting on this layout spread. Painted turtles are way friendlier than snapping turtles, just definitely more afraid when we try to get a closer look. The jump into the water pretty quick! I added some fun facts about painted turtles onto the journaling card.
- STAMPS: Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes
- INK: True Black, Fresh Snow, Classic Kraft, Olive Twist, Jet Black Archival (Ranger)
- PAPER: Stamper’s Select White, Kraft, Olive Twist, Traveler’s Journal: Page Blanks, watercolor
- DIES: Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes, Traveler’s Journal: Accessories, Monthly Moments: Journal Card 3, Monthly Moments: Journal Card 4
- OTHER: Rustic Jute button twine, watercolor paints
Adding more to my nature journal is something I am definitely looking forward to! Now keep scrolling to see the nature journals that the Traveler’s Journal team are sharing with you today. I am so inspired by each and every one of them!
“The new Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes Stamp Set and Dies were just perfect to help me document my Grandpa’s love of nature using some old photos of his garden. Let me share one of my favorite Traveler’s Journal project with you on my blog!”
- STAMPS: Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes
- INK: Berry Sorbet, Pure Poppy, Bright Buttercup, Orange Zest, Harvest Gold, Green Parakeet, New Leaf, Spring Moss, Prairie Grass, Simply Chartreuse, Ripe Avocado, Olive Twist, Pinefeather, Dark Chocolate, Cocoa Bean, Classic Kraft.
- PAPER: Lemon Tart, Stampers Select White, Linen Vellum
- DIES: Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes, Monthly Moments: Spiral Notebook
- OTHER: StazOn Timber, VersaFine Onyx Black, Hemp Twine
“It’s so important to me to help Lauren learn about nature. Every year, we visit the strawberry patch to learn about how this fruit grows. Yes, we get to enjoy the strawberries, but it is the time we spend exploring nature together. My traveler’s journal is the perfect place to jot down all of my field notes of our years of strawberry picking.”
- STAMPS: Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes, Traveler’s Journal: Currently, Traveler’s Journal: Dates, Traveler’s Journal: Typed Notes, Lucky Scratch: Love, Lucky Scratch: Baby, Polka Dot Basics (Retired-used small circle image), Fruit Salad Sentiments, Bite Size Tags, Forest Floor: Summer, Strawberry Patch (Last Call), Library Ledger: Year Additions (Retired-years), Hashtag Everything
- INK: Pure Poppy, Smokey Shadow, New Leaf, Pinefeather, Harvest Gold, Classic Kraft, Summer Sunrise, Aqua Mist, Sweet Blush
- PAPER: Traveler’s Journal: Page Blanks, Limeade Ice, White, Kraft, Bitty Big: Pure Poppy, Bitty Big: Green Parakeet, True Black, Lemon Tart, Aqua Mist, Sweet Blush, Harvest Gold, Chicken Scratch Gingham, Bitty Big: Harvest Gold
- DIES: Traveler’s Journal: Accessories, Traveler’s Journal: Currently, Traveler’s Journal: Outer Cover, Forest Floor: Summer, Strawberry Patch, Limitless Layers: 2-1/2″ Circle, Turning A New Leaf, Monthly Moments: Spiral Notebook, Monthly Moments: Journal Pocket 2, Lucky Scratch, Shape Shifter: Circle 2, Monthly Moments: Journal Card 3, Monthly Moments: Journal Card 4, Hashtag Everything, Hashtag Everything: Text Bubbles, Monthly Moments: Journal Card
- OTHER: Pure Poppy felt, Snow felt, Simply Chartreuse felt, markers (Copic), tiny attacher (Ranger)
“The new Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes stamp set is the perfect addition to help me document our recent trip to Yellowstone! I was able to combine many of the elements from last month’s project along with this new set to really capture the feeling of our trip! I know I’ll be reaching for this one often!”
- STAMPS: Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes, Traveler’s Journal: Adventure
- INK: Black, Smokey Shadow, Versamark, Fresh Snow
- PAPER: Simply Chartreuse Bitty Big, Soft Stone Bitty Big, Kraft, Stamper’s Select White Cardstock, Dark Indigo
- DIES: Traveler’s Journal: Field Notes
- OTHER: Copic markers, crystal glaze
- Note: I did use some of the elements I created for my “on the go kit” from last month.
Thank you so much for joining me and the Traveler’s journal team today. I hope you enjoyed what we had to share today and more inspiration will be coming your way again next month!