Hi everyone and welcome to this month’s Traveler’s Journal feature! Today we (myself and the Traveler’s Journal team) have some fun ideas to share for mixing different papers to create the journal booklets for your Traveler’s Journal. Using papers other than what is included with the Traveler’s Journal: Page Blanks can take your journals to a whole new level and create interesting looks and interactive features.
I put together a journal that I am going to give as a gift to my cousin who is expecting a baby boy this summer. I pulled out different papers and cardstock that would fit a baby boy theme: Ocean Tides, Aqua Mist, Smokey Shadow, kraft, and the new Papertrey Ink gray along with some polka dot vellum and a polka dot paper bag.
After putting a journal with mixed papers and elements together, I love looking at it from the side. All of the different pages just invite you to open up the journal and page through it. You will notice that not every page is exactly the same size either. Have fun and experiment with things like envelopes, acetate, vellum, cardstock, patterned papers, etc.
The Traveler’s Journal: Page Blank pages measure 4 1/2″ x 8 7/8″ and I cut my cover 4 1/2″ x 9 1.4″ from Ocean Tides cardstock. Use these measurements as a guide for cutting your pages. You can use the hole dies from the Traveler’s Journal: Accessories die collection to add the binding holes to the center of your pages and cover, or use a Traveler’s Journal: Page Blanks page as a guide for where to punch holes for binding your journal.
When you open up the journal I added a sort of intro page. The left side of the spread features the “welcome, little one” sentiment from the Keep it Simple: Baby set stamped on the notched banner from the Traveler’s Journal: Accessories die collection. The tiny white stars are die cut from a white adhesive sheet with the Star Gazer dies.
On the right side I stenciled a plaid design on our new gray cardstock and added a stamped and die cut lion from the Jungle Buddies stamp set and die collection.
On this next page I added a photo frame that is just tacked down a bit so that a baby picture can be added into it. How will it be once she is able to tuck the new baby’s picture into that frame? I stamped a sentiment from the Bitty Baby Blessings stamp set onto the bottom part of the frame.
The opposite page is actually a polka dot paper bag that I had. It was a little tall for the book and so I trimmed it down just a bit and added some stitching to the top edge. The fun part about using a bag as a book page is that it becomes an instant pocket! I slid a journal card into the pocket that my cousin can use to add a note or document a sweet memory for her new baby boy.
Turning the page, I added a giraffe to the back of the bag page along with some more tiny white stars.
The next page is polka dot vellum from the Sheer Basics vellum collection. I added another frame to this page to tuck a photo into. The vellum offers a bit of a peek of the next pages in the book.
This next spread includes the back of the vellum page that I added another frame onto. I lined it up with the frame on the previous page. Doing that helps hide the adhesive on both pages that would show through the vellum cardstock.
I added a pocket in the new gray color to the right page using the pocket die that is a part of the Traveler’s Journal: Accessories collection. Inside the pocket is another journal card to capture sweet new baby moments and memories.
I love how this sweet baby book turned out using the different mixed papers and elements and can’t wait to gift it to my cousin at her shower in a few weeks!
- STAMPS: Jungle Buddies, Bitty Baby Blessings, Type Strips II, Super Stars, Keep it Simple: Baby
- INK: True Black, Smokey Shadow, Ocean Tides, Aqua Mist, Fresh Snow
- PAPER: Stamper’s Select White, kraft, Ocean Tides, Aqua Mist, new gray color, Sheer Basics vellum, white adhesive sheet
- DIES: Traveler’s Journal: Accessories, Jungle Buddies, Wonderful Words: Baby, Type Bits Strip, Monthly Moments: Mini Journal Card, Star Gazer
- OTHER: Rustic Jute button twine, wooden stars (Studio Calico), polka dot paper bag
The Traveler’s Journal Team have their own mixed paper journals to share with you today. I was so inspired by the fun ideas that they each had to share and hope that you are too!
“Hi Guys! I’m with you today to share my latest labor of love: this super fun Mixed Paper Booklet featuring my recent trip to the USS Midway Museum in San Diego, CA!”
- STAMPS: Traveler’s Journal: December, Traveler’s Journal: Adventure, Monthly Moments: Tabbed, Library Card Mini, Simply Framed
- INK: Enchanted Evening, Pure Poppy, Bright Buttercup, Smokey Shadow
- PAPER: Enchanted Evening, True Black, Linen Vellum, Stamper’s Select White
- DIES: Traveler’s Journal: December, Traveler’s Journal: Adventure, Traveler’s Journal: Accessories, Traveler’s Journal: Envelope, Monthly Moments: Tabbed, Monthly Moments: Journal Card 5, Monthly Moments: Spiral Notebook, Countdown Detais
- OTHER: Kraft-tex in Stone, Dura-Lar Clear Film, Baker’s Twine, Journaling Pen
“Although working with vellum can be a bit challenging, I enjoy it because of the sheer results. Using vellum as a page, to layer, or to mute color are just a few ways to add it to a traveler’s journal. I hope you take a peek of my little birthday journal book to remember my daughter’s birthday party.”
STAMPS: Traveler’s Journal: Currently, Birthday Balloons, Confetti Sentiments
INK: Pale Peony, Smokey Shadow, Aqua Mist
PAPER: vellum, pale peony, harvest gold, berry sorbet, amethyst allure, aqua mist, winter wisteria, tropical teal, white
DIES: Birthday Balloons, Text Block: Party Time, Party Trio, Birthday Trio, Limitless Layers: 2-1/2″ Circles; Traveler’s Journal: Accessories
OTHER: jute twine, rainstone
“Creating colorful pattern pages mixed with the Traveler’s Journal Page Blanks helped me create this fun and sentimental journal to document my boys’ school days. I love combining different patterns for a playful and whimsical effect!”
- STAMPS: School Days
- INK: Simply Chartreuse, Pure Poppy, Smokey Shadow, Fine Linen, Harvest Gold, Versamark, Black, Hawaiian Shores, Fresh Snow, Pink Peony
- PAPER: Bitty Big Simply Chartreuse, Bitty Big Harvest Gold, True Black cardstock, Stamper’s select white cardstock, Pure Poppy, Kraft, Traveler’s Journal page blanks
- DIES: School Days, Big Apple, Bookprint Alphabet Upper and Lower, Traveler’s Journal envelope die
- OTHER: Pure Poppy Baker’s twine, gold embossing powder, crystal glaze
Thank you so much for joining me and the Traveler’s journal team today. I hope you enjoyed what we had to share today and more inspiration will be coming your way again next month!