Next up is designer extraordinaire Yana Smakula.
"Hello, friends! This is Yana Smakula and I am so excited to participate in Papertrey Ink annual online stamping event – Stamp A Faire! In my video tutorial I'll show you how to turn simple paper die cuts into beautiful iron-looking embellishments for your project."
To create the faux iron embellishment:
- Die cut desired shape you’d like to turn into faux iron embellishment.
- Attach shape onto a piece of cardstock you can easily pick up without having to touch the shape itself
- Ink up entire surface of the die cut with embossing ink (press the die cut onto the ink pad with a clear block to even coverage)
- Cover die cut with embossing powder and heat set
- Repeat 2-3 times to build up embossing powder layers
- Remove die cut from the cardstock holder, if needed zap with a heat tool again to smooth out the edges.
To create the card:
- Cut thin paper to 4 ¼ x 5 ½ “. Cover with double sided sticky tape.
- Adhere colored cardstock pieces creating a bold geometric background.
- Arrange heart outline dies on the background, tape in place with washi tape (making sue to connect both dies – keep them connected) and run through die cutting machine to cut. Set aside.
- Die-cut identical shape out of white cardstock. Follow instructions to create faux iron embellishment.
- Adhere large negative background piece onto A2 card base.
- Inlay iron heart.
- Finish the background by adhering small negative piece.
- Heat emboss “Happiest Anniversary Wishes” in silver embossing powder. Foam mount onto the card across the heart.
- Embellish card by adding Nuvo Drops or stamping images from the Gathered Garden stamp set in Watermark ink or both.
- STAMPS: Banner Sentiments, Gathered Garden
- INK: VersaMark
- PAPER: Stamper’s Select white, colored cardstock (Raspberry Fizz, Sweet Blush, Summer Sunrise & Limeade Ice as well as Enchanted Evening, Dark Chocolate, Ocean Tides and Ripe Avocado)
- DIES: To Have & Hold
- OTHER: Silver Filigree Detail Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, Scrapbook Adhesives Adhesive Sheets, Nuvo Drops in Gloss White & Liquid Mercury, Foam Adhesive, Platinum Die Cutting Machine
- Now it's your turn! Create a project featuring a metallic embossed die-cut. You can choose to re-create the exact project from Yana above or design your own using the same concepts. Your project must also incorporate at least one Papertrey product.
- Post your project on your blog, in your gallery, Instagram or on any other photo-hosting site (such as photobucket or flickr).
- Add your project to the InLinkz list below.
- You will have until 7am ET, Thursday, August 31st, to add your link to the list to be eligible to win. One project per person please.
- As a reminder, you will have until 7am ET, Thursday, August 31st, to add your link to the list to be eligible to win.
- One randomly selected winners will be chosen from all of the InLinkz entries on this post on Thursday, August 31st. The winner will be posted on our Thursday night Stamp-a-faire winners page after 9pm ET. The randomly selected winner will get a $20 PTI gift certificate to spend however they like!
- One randomly selected winner will be chosen from the comments of this post on Thursday as well. You will have until 7am ET, Thursday, August 31st to add your comment and be eligible to win. The randomly selected winner will get a $10 PTI gift certificate.
How did you like the way Yana did the color blocking here? A great way to use up scraps, right? The elegant look she achieved with the inlaid die-cut that's coated with heat embossing is just awesome. I can image it in all kinds of different metallic hues, and lots of different die-cut shapes. We look forward to seeing your take on this!