011108_embossed_rectangle_2To begin today’s project, I knew I wanted to start things out on one of my favorite small canvases.  An embossed rectangle that I created using our Stamper’s Select White Cardstock and Nestabilities! (The one shown here is from the SMALL Nestabilities Classic Rectangle set).

011108_stamped_branchI then added the branch image, stamped in burgundy ink.  I just love the way this branch in configured.  I think it has such a nice flow to it.   An easy-going & natural flow.  Just makes me happy!

011108_stamped_flowersNext up is the 2nd of four overlays total in this set, flowers.  I created this stamp as a modern interpretation of the dogwood blossom.  I’ve always wanted a nice dogwood blossom branch to use for sympathy cards.  I just think that it is so appropriate.  (If you aren’t familiar with the legend behind the dogwood, you can read more about it HERE).  I stamped the flowers using rose red ink.

011108_water_addedTo add of an artistic touch the flowers, I applied droplets of water to each of the blossoms.  (For those of you that are familiar with my blog, this is a technique that I use often.)  Since the flowers are stamped in a dye ink (which is not waterproof) the water allows the flowers to "bleed", ending in a soft, watercolored look.  You can see the difference this technique makes by comparing the bottom blossoms to top ones.  I love the way this technique works with our Stamper’s Select White Cardstock.  IT is such a thick and durable cardstock that it doesn’t bow or pill when water is applied.  If you haven’t tried it out yet, I highly recommend it!

011108_dogwood_sympathy_cardWith a few more additions, I completed my card!  I added a small dot to the center of each flower while the paper was still wet.  I loved the way that the darker color bled into the petals.  It really helped to make the flowers pop from the page.  I used a "With Sympathy" stamp from this set.  I love the font combination used.  I think it really compliments that look & style of the branch nicely.  A little velvet ribbon & a pearl head pin provided the perfect finishing touches.

Before I end this post, I wanted to answer a question that many of you had about this set.  The branch used in our Take a Bough set is NOT interchangeable with this set.  The branch from Take a Bough is much bigger and would not coordinate with the overlays used in this set.  I hope that helps to clarify everything!!!!

SUPPLIES:

ink-Rose Red & Bravo Burgundy classic dye ink pads & chocolate chip marker

stamps- Out on a Limb by Papertrey Ink

paper- Stamper’s Select white cardstock from Papertrey, Bravo Burgandy & Rose Red cardstock by Stampin’ Up!

other- velvet ribbon from Making Memories, pearl pin from Offray (sewing section & Walmart or craft & hobby store), Water pen from EK Success.

Next Post

Victoria says:

Wow!That is all I can say!!! Great job.

Jackie Ohlmann says:

Nichole, this is stunning! I love that technique!

Heather B says:

Wow Nichole!! I LOVE that font! Beautiful!

Kimberly says:

This is so delicate and beautiful! I love dogwoods … I bet with the right color combination these would look like cherry blossoms as well.

Another beautiful design! Sounds like it is going to be a large set …. I can’t wait! How perfect for spring!

I wonder if the oval ornaments from Take a Bough will work with this more delicate branch for Easter cards?

Thank you Nichole!

Laurie says:

Another great card with this set. Hmm, my previous order did just arrive today — maybe I could just sneak in another!

Beth says:

This is absolutely stunning! This set appears to be so versatile. I can see using it for a masculine card, as well as, a more feminine one. Sympathy cards are difficult to make in themselves but to have this stamp set with the access to your examples will be so helpful! Thank you so much!

Beth says:

Alli Miles says:

SOOO very nice! I love the soft look you achieved on the blossoms using the water pen. I love dogwood trees–and dogwood blossoms!

Granna on the Go says:

A stunning look! I love the branch which just speaks spring with its delicate branching! Love the blossoms with the water technique! I can’t wait for spring! Thanks again for sharing your creativity!

niccole-k says:

Yet another magnificant card. I absolutely love the branch it just fits with the page (paper) perfectly. I cannot wait to see the whole set. Thanks for another great card Nichole ~

Debbie Olson says:

Nichole, I grew up down South with the dogwoods–I thought these looked like dogwoods at first glance! Up here they call some shrub a dogwood. . . Very elegant!

Letap says:

Beautiful examples, as always. Can’t wait to see more. Petal

Dawn Burnworth says:

I too love this set. I have a question about this card. How did you get the slit for the ribbon in the middle of the card. Is there a punch that reaches farther and do you carry this punch.
    Thanks,
    Dawn B.

Rachel says:

Maybe this is a silly question, but if you were going to mail a card like this — would you be worried at all about this pin? Poking through the envelope, or poking the recipient? I have wondered before if you do anything special to protect it.

Sandy Kay says:

Nichole – you are the stamping top 5 – who in the world would be in the top 4 – I can’t imagine it!
    Anyway, thanks for bringing these dogwoods to our stamping world! I also like the idea of your cardstock not pilling or bowing – can’t wait to try this!
    Sandy Kay

Sandy Kay says:

PS For those of us who don’t have the nestibilites yet, what size is that beginning rectangle?
    Thank, Sandy

Jacque (SCS: Petals) says:

Gorgeous card! I can’t wait for this release!

A quick question, what kind of punch did you use for the ribbon? I can’t think of any I have that would allow me to punch that far in. TIA!

Love the dogwood blossoms!

stacy says:

Nichole this is beautiful! So elegant too. Can’t wait to see the rest of the set.

tylersmum05 says:

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. -Molly B

Bee says:

Gorgeous! This set is wonderful!
    Can’t wait to see the rest!! 😛

Charlene Austin (Willow01) says:

Cool, you are Top 5. I have been watching that little number creep up. Yay! This card is perfect. The set is perfect. I cannot wait to order it. How many sets are being released?

Kat says:

Just beautiful, as usual!!! So inspiring you are!!!

Gorgeous Nicole! Thanks for sharing.

Hugs
    Julie

Hi Nichole! Such a pretty card! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

Carrie says:

amazing card Nicole! I was just wanting make some Sympathy Cards. Wish I had a part time job so I could buy more faster. I know I’m going to want this set. I’m not very patient when I want something! LOL

Kelly says:

This is really pretty. Thank you for sharing how you made it!

Elena Lin says:

What a beautiful card. I am already in love with this set! Can’t wait!

Angie J says:

Loving this one also!! This is the best time of the month!!

Kathie says:

Hey I have to say, a few months ago one of your blogs said to try your Stampers select white cardstock- that we will love it. So I did. Yes, I do love it!! It seems to be a little heavier weight that SU (which was always my 1st choice). I LOVE LOVE LOVE yours! Now all we need is ivory!!

Melanie Muenchinger says:

another beauty, I love it!!

Sara Paschal says:

Very nice, love the bleeding on the flowers and the Velvet ribbon is so pretty.

Heidi K says:

This is so pretty! I am going to have to try that now that I have the CS! Can’t wait to see what you will share tomorrow!

Heidi K says:

Heidi K says:

Jill says:

What a supremely elegant and beautiful card!

Eleanor Jenkins (aka nana jenkins) says:

Absolutely loving this set! I can see this branch coming out several times with the blossoms! Can’t wait!!

Tiya-B says:

I can’t wait for the set too!
    the dogwood card is perfect. thanks for sharing so much.

Dawn says:

This is gorgeous!! I love the simplicity of this set!!! I can’t wait to see what else you have in store for us! You truly are an inspiration Nichole. I love PTI, it is really a wonderful company with wonderful products!! Can’t wait till the 15th:)

Nancy says:

I don’t have Take a Bough and I’m really looking forward to seeing the rest of this. Love that typography!

another beautiful card with this set! very classy, soft, and elegant card – love how the velvet ribbon looks too!!

Barb Schram says:

Love this so much, Nichole…someone may have asked this: Is the same branch as in your blog header? Sorry if it is a repeat question, just was wondering!!! Can’t wait for the 15th! ~Barb

Cara says:

See how everyone is using the word stunning? It was the first word I thought of. Just imagine all of us at our computers, sitting there stunned…our husbands come in, “Are you alright, honey? Honey?” What an impact your cards make.

Janis L Ussery says:

Cannot wait to purchase. Love the design. Great card!

Carrie says:

What punch did you use to punch the hole for the ribbon? It looks like the slot punch from SU but I didn’t think it would reach that far. Thanks!!!

CherylQuilts says:

Nicole, the sentiment set looks FABULOUS! Love the size too. And Out on a Limb looks FAB too! I’m so glad we are in countdown mode again…missed you!!!

This card is absolutely beautiful! I would love to know how you made the cutout for the ribbon so far onto the card? I have the SU punch, but it doesn’t go nearly that far in on the cardstock. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

CherylQuilts says:

I am in LOVE with this set! I have used it already (a big feat for me!), and I LOVE IT! I love the branch and all I can do with it, but I also LOVE the sentiments and verses. What a winner! Thanks, Nichole!!